Traffic/Parking Issues

General Questions

1.  Drivers appear to be speeding on a certain street. Will the police run radar there?

If you are concerned about drivers travelling at high rates of speed in a specific area, contact Sergeant Joe Barszcz, the Traffic Supervisor. He may elect to have officers begin running radar there immediately. Or, he may choose to start by putting a speed trailer on the side of the road so that drivers are more aware of their speeds. This is often followed up by officers conducting radar details in the area.

Motor Vehicle Accidents/Reports

1.  What should I do if I am involved in an accident?

Call the police department and wait for an officer to arrive. Once on scene, the officer will collect all the necessary information and will provide each operator with the paperwork that they will need. They will also make arrangements for tow trucks, if necessary.

2.  Do I have to fill out a Commonwealth of Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report?

You must complete this report if there is damage over $1,000 to any one vehicle or other property or if there is ANY personal injury. This report must be completed within five days of the date of the crash. Once this form has been completed one copy must be sent to each of the following agencies: The police department where the accident occurred, the vehicle owner's insurance company and the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Boston. (Crash Records, Registry of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205-5889.)

3.  How do I obtain a copy of the accident report completed by the investigating Officer?

Once accident reports have been completed by the Officer, which can take a few days, anyone can come to the Northampton Police Department Records Bureau and obtain a copy of the report. Individuals will be charged .50 cents per page. The reports can also be mailed or faxed for a $5 fee. To ensure that the report is ready, it is recommended that you call first (587-1106 Monday through Friday 8-4PM).

4.  What if I disagree with the Officer's police report?

If there is a clerical error on the report, such as a misspelling or incorrect data, the Officer can go into the report and make the necessary corrections. Interpretations as to the cause of the accident or who is at fault cannot be changed. If you have specific concerns about an accident that you were involved with, you may speak with the investigating Officer's supervisor.

5.  Where can I get the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report?

Any Massachusetts police department should have these forms. If you have access to the internet, you can find these forms at The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles website .

Parking Issues

1.  How can I report a vehicle that has been parked on a street for a long time?

Call the dispatch center at 587-1100. They will send an officer to that location and they may put a 72-hour notice on the car. If the car is still in the same spot after 72-hours has passed, the car can be towed.

2.  How do I pay a parking ticket?

Parking tickets cannot be paid at the Police Department. Go to the parking office in the Wallace Pulchaski Municipal Building located 212 Main Street, Northampton, MA. Parking tickets can also be mailed to the Parking Office. For further information regarding parking tickets you may contact the Parking Office at 587-1025.

3.  I don't understand the winter parking rules. Can the police explain?

Parking bans and snow emergencies are determined by the Department of Public Works, not the police department.  When a snow emergency is called a Winter Parking Ban goes into effect. Overnight parking is banned on any street from midnight through 6 AM (except downtown on Main Street where the prohibition is from 2 AM to 7 AM). Overnight parking is available for a fee in the Parking Garage at all hours on a space-available basis. Free overnight parking is available in the city parking lots on Armory Street (near the parking garage) from 8 PM to 8 AM.

4.  How do I know when there is a snow emergency?

Check the local press or call the Winter Information line at 586-6969. It is available 24-hours a day. You may also subscribe to receive email notification of snow emergencies and parking bans by visiting the city website ( Even if your street looks clear, the Winter Parking Ban may still be in effect.

5.  My car got towed. What should I do?

Call the Northampton Dispatch Center at 587-1100 to find out where your car was towed to. Do not call the DPW. They cannot help you find your car. The tow companies set their own fees and these fees must be paid to the tow company before they will release your car.